Hello Fellow Boxer Lovers!
The Picture to the left is Bodhi with one of his house mate's at the breeder's home. He is growing healthy, strong and handsome!
The breeder had an open forum last night for the new Boxer parents to meet with her and ask questions. I of course was there with bells on. One of our topics was 'human foodies' for dogs.
So what kind of people food is 'ok' for Boxers?
I know, I know it is so hard to resist puppy dog eyes looking at you while eating that huge hamburger. You are tempted to offer that last bite to your canine in waiting - but is it really 'good' for your dog? (considering you have tomato, lettuce, onion, bun and toppings...)
While you may be tempted to give your pet the leftovers each night, take a moment to research what's good - or bad - for your favorite fido! You could be causing uncomfortable gas or pain not knowing a certain food is hurting your puppy pal - in circumstances, death...
Great People Food Treats:
- Bones - RAW, uncooked in any way bones from the butcher. Not too many as they are high in calcium and can cause constipation.
- Chicken - boneless, boiled (cut in cubes, keep in fridge, use as dog treats!)
- Eggs - scrambled (never raw)
- Liver - boiled (cut in cubes, keep in fridge) ((Very, VERY small amounts))
- Potatoes - Mashed or Chopped, never raw
Okay People Food Treats:
- Gold Fish Crackers
- Low Sodium Crackers
- Pasta - cooked, no sauce
NO-NO People Foodies:
- Alcohol - can get them 'drunk' and kill them.
- Baby Food - may contain onion powder which could poison them.
- Bones - (cooked, bad! RAW okay)
- Bread/Bread Dough - can rise in stomach and cause pain and discomfort.
- Chocolate - toxic % to dog's weight.
- Fruit (Apples, Apricot, Avocado, Cherries, Grapes, Peaches, Pears, Plums) The seeds and pits can actually be toxic to dogs so it is best to avoid them.
- Nuts - most sorts simply avoid - especially Macadamia
- Red Meats
- Rich Fatty Foods - bacon, deep fried anything, sausage, turkey skin
- Vegetables (Broccoi, Corn, Corn Cobs, Mushrooms, Onions, Potatoes (raw), Tomatoes
Dog Treats from the Store?!
Well, Yes and No. The are more like 'candy' kind of doggy junk food. IMO why pay for dog candy when you could boil up a chicken breast, chunk it, and give it as treats? It's cheaper AND healthier!
Is Rawhide Good or Bad?
NO, no, NOOO! Rawhide bones can be costly to the pet owner, and dangerous to the dog. I know you probably are saying - "I've given them to my dog for YEARS"... or "why would they sell them if they were dangerous"... There just so happens to be lots of PEOPLE food they sell that is not safe - but we're talking dogs!
What IS Rawhide?
It's, raw hide, from a slaugher house. Kind of like a leather. In most cases it is soaked in chemicals so the hair falls of. Then they bleach the hide to 'sanitize' it. After the processes just mentioned (they take several days) they then 'smoke' the leather to make it oh so tastey. This shrinks the hide about 50%, which is why when your pet is chewing it it GROWS. This can happen inside your dog's stomach causing severe upset, even death.
Do this test...
Take a rawhide and put it in a bowl of water over night - see how much it grows. (that could be IN your dog's stomach you know) Take this fact plus the above info to see if you still want to feed it to your dogs. IMO if YOU won't eat it, don't give it to your dogs... (this also includes hooves, ears, etc...)
Here's a story about a dog who go sick on rawhide.
Choosing a brand of dog food...
We'll do this as another topic on a future date!
The Boxer Blogger